The government has announced that nearly all remaining Covid restrictions in England will be removed on 19 July but the final decision on the changes will be confirmed on 12 July. The main changes are:
- The 1m-plus social distancing rule will end (except in certain areas such as hospitals and care homes)
- Face masks will no longer be legally required in shops, public transport and other enclosed public spaces (but people should continue to wear a face covering if they have not been fully vaccinated or in crowded places). Businesses can also decide if face masks are required in their premises
- Also ending is the limit of the number of people allowed into each other's homes
- Limits on attendance at weddings and funerals will end
- Venues will be able to operate at full capacity
- Work-from-home guidance will end
The NHS Test and Trace system will remain, so anyone who tests positive for Covid-19 will still need to share details of their close contacts with NHS Test and Trace.
These changes apply to England only. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland will be deciding their own changes.
For full information go to https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-response-summer-2021-roadmap
Back to news